Home    Calendar    Contact

logo banner
Mary Kincaid’s church experience started in a bassinet at the Clearwater Presbyterian Church in Paramount, CA. Her paternal grandparents emigrated from Holland, and settled in a large Dutch community in Clearwater, California. Her parents (Beth & Bill Verburg) headed up the young married group in the church, a practice they would replicate in one form or    another everywhere they moved. Her dad worked as a landscaper in California during the depression. They later bought, sight unseen, a small 120-acre ranch on Hatter Creek in Idaho.  Her dad worked at the Potlatch mill in Potlatch, and her mother reopened the closed historic Community Church in Princeton. It had a Bible school in the summer, weddings, funerals and often sermons by Dick Ferrell who was revered in the region as the lumberjack preacher. In his younger days, he had been a middleweight boxer and this, plus his great personality, attracted young and old alike. He traveled to the surrounding logging camps counseling and giving sermons.

     The Verburgs then moved to Potlatch, Idaho in Mary’s junior high years where her mother taught school, her dad continued to work at the mill, and they attended the old Potlatch Presbyterian Church, headed by Dave and Anne Crawford. The Crawfords spent several years in Alaska as missionaries. Dave sometimes piloted the famous “Anna Jackman” riverboat, bringing kids to college via Alaska’s rivers and coastal waterways. They were lifelong friends of the Verburg family and are fondly remembered as being able to attract large numbers of young people to a thriving youth group and then on to summer camp.

     Bob Kincaid’s family of six came to Lewiston in the 1920’s. His father was born in a sod hut in Kansas in the 1880’s and came west to southern Idaho via covered wagon. He drove the last active route stagecoach in Idaho as a young man as well as driving teams of horses delivering dynamite to gold/silver mines in Idaho and Montana. Upon arrival in Lewiston, his father was involved in the building and later, operating of the Potlatch Forests mill. His mother ran the “call board."  Bob’s family was not churchgoers, but he attended the Lewiston Federated church as a teenager when Doug Vance was pastor. Bob was a Congregationalist, and happily reminds everyone of this whenever the Presbyterians do something unusual.  

  Mary’s family moved to Lewiston so her mother could finish her degree in education.  The Verburg’s returned to Potlatch when NICE (LCSC) was closed by Gov. Len Jordan.  During this time in Lewiston, there was a youth group of twelve boys at the Federated church. Mary lined up her two new girlfriends and crashed (Bob’s word) the group. Back in Potlatch, Beth continued to teach and Bill opened a watch   repair shop. Education was important to the Verburgs, and at one point Beth and Mary were at the University of Idaho together, graduating together in 1957,.  Bill was attending North Idaho College to learn clock and watch repair. Beth later got her Master’s Degree and worked on her PHD at the U of  I.  Bob enlisted in the Army and participated in the early years of the National Security Agency (NSA). Mary did group social work at the YWCA in Oakland, California, moving to San Jose to live in veterans housing after their marriage in 1958. Mary taught at a high school and Bob worked as a deputy sheriff, finishing a BA and starting on his Masters at San Jose State. Their daughter Lynne was born in San Jose. They moved back to Lewiston where Bob worked in the personnel department at Potlatch, and Mary taught science, women’s issues, and physical education at newly reopened LCSC. They attended the Federated Church and taught Sunday school. After Bob moved from the personnel department to the newly created sales department for Potlatch, the family set up households in Minneapolis and Chicago, changed jobs, then lived in Natchitoches, Louisiana, and eventually in Beaverton, Oregon, involving themselves in Presbyterian churches at every move. Son Ron was born in Minneapolis, completing the family.

    During the long stay in Beaverton (Portland), Mary started her own successful company, “MM Trading” dealing in commodities on both the New York and Chicago exchanges, primarily lumber and plywood futures. Bob was Senior Vice President of a large wood product wholesaler. At Sunset     Presbyterian Church, daughter Lynne was a regular commentator on the radio program “Open Door” developed and run by the minister of Sunset Church, Bud Frimoth. The radio program had 200 stations throughout the world and also was carried on Armed Forces radio network during the Vietnam War. It won 16 Peabody awards for Christian broadcasting.

In 1973, four Portland area Presbyterians churches combined to send 120 people to tour Jordan, Israel, and Italy. Unluckily, they were on the Golan Heights when the “Yom Kippur” war broke out. They spent several days in a bomb   shelter in a Kibbutz, along with an injured AP correspondent. Afterwards, they continued their planned tour of Israel. Bob comments: "We are Presbyterians. We’d paid for all the time in Israel and we stayed." They then flew (with Israeli fighter jet cover) to Rome and an audience with the Pope (who had heard about the group). The four churches subsequently did another 19 day “Journeys of Paul” trip on a chartered cruise ship.

     The Kincaids volunteered as Elders and other positions at First Presbyterian when they returned to the valley when Will Ackles was minister. They started a group of middle-agers, hoping to emulate the success of the OWLS, which Mary’s mother and father, then living in Asotin, had joined and enjoyed so much. Bob published a marketing newsletter and Mary taught at Grantham.

In the 1980’s, Lynne was married and living in New Mexico, and Ron was attending Whitworth in Spokane when Bob and Mary accepted a position in London, England, representing the United States' wood industry, doing promotional work throughout Europe, North Africa, and the Middle East. The Kincaids were in England for nine years   traveling to over 50 countries. They visited churches everywhere and Mary entertained clients, housed visitors, and helped at trade shows and seminars, taught some classes on U.S. military bases in the London area, and attended several extensive Bible study programs.

Bob had a triple by-pass early in 1993 performed at Deaconess Hospital in Spokane. The trade associations at the same time asked them to come back to the U.S., to Destrehan, Louisiana (a western suburb of New Orleans). Household goods shipped from England arrived the same day as hurricane Andrew. They attended the Presbyterian Church in Luling, (the same one that our church's missionaries visited in 2007). Mary headed the Women’s group and was happy to have coffee instead of tea after church.
    Their daughter Lynne lives in the Valley and has a teaching degree from LCSC, and their son Ronald has degrees in Mathematics and Computer Science from Whitworth. Both are married, and Bob and Mary have five grandchildren. After Mary's mother’s death, Bob and Mary took early retirement to take care of her dad, returning to the Lewis-Clark valley and their favorite Church, First Presbyterian of Clarkston. They've been hard at work here ever since.

Phone: 509 758-3381
Fax:    509 758-3382
Clarkston First Presbyterian Church
1122 Diagonal, Clarkston
Washington 99403